At Allconnect, we work to present quality information with editorial integrity. While this post may contain offers from our partners, our opinions are our own. Here’s how we make money.
Sure, you know how to check your email and download apps, but do you have real internet skills? It’s time to find out if you’re an internet apprentice or ready to move to the head of the class. Take this 10-question quiz — and don’t get fooled by any trick questions!
1. What’s the difference between a web address that starts with http:// or https://?
a. There is no difference
b. The ‘s’ means it’s secure
c. Websites that start with http:// are faster
2. What’s the difference between a cable internet line and a DSL internet line?
a. Cable internet can give you Wi-Fi, but DSL cannot
b. There is no difference
c. DSL internet uses a phone line and cable internet uses a coaxial cable
3. What does VPN stand for?
a. Virtual Private Network
b. Very Private Network
c. Virtual Password Notes
4. You’re in the middle of an all-day Netflix binge. Put the streaming resolutions in order from best to worst.
a. SD, HD, 4K
b. HD, SD, 4K
c. 4K, HD, SD
5. How are Wi-Fi and Bluetooth different?
a. Wi-Fi requires internet access, but Bluetooth does not
b. Wi-Fi is always faster
c. Bluetooth only works for smart speakers
6. What does IoT stand for?
a. Internet is Terrible
b. Internet of Things
c. It’s only TV
7. What is a hotspot?
a. A really popular website
b. A way to access the internet when you are away from home
c. A type of Facebook group that is invite-only
8. What is phishing?
a. A new way to catch fish
b. A type of computer virus
c. Gathering sensitive information by posing as a familiar entity
9. What is one thing that a smart TV cannot do?
a. Connect to the internet
b. Bake a delicious lasagna
c. Access streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and YouTube
10. What type of internet connection is most prevalent in rural areas?
a. Fiber-optic internet
b. Satellite internet
c. Cable internet
- What’s the difference between a web address that starts with http:// or https://? b. The ‘s’ means it’s secure
- What’s the difference between a cable internet line and a DSL internet line? c. DSL internet uses a phone line and cable internet uses a coaxial cable
- What does VPN stand for? a. Virtual Private Network
- You’re in the middle of an all-day Netflix binge. Put the streaming resolutions in order from best to worst. c. 4K, HD, SD
- How are Wi-Fi and Bluetooth different? a. Wi-Fi requires internet access, but Bluetooth does not
- What does IoT stand for? b. Internet of Things
- What is a hotspot? b. A way to access the internet when you are away from home
- What is phishing? c. Gathering sensitive information by posing as a familiar entity
- What is one thing that a smart TV cannot do? b. Bake a delicious lasagna
- What type of internet connection is most prevalent in rural areas? b. Satellite internet
How’d you do?
Add up the number of answers you got right to see how you did. Then, send this quiz to your friends to see who can get the highest score.
0-3 answers correct
Your internet knowledge could use a bit of pumping up. But that’s ok — we’re here to help. Brush up on the basics to get a good foundation for your internet IQ. Try checking out some of these articles for broadband beginners and you’ll know a modem from a megabit in no time.
- Find out the difference between Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
- Get the 411 on internet basics
- Learn all about internet connection types
- Find out how to start streaming like a pro
4-7 answers correct
You are on your way to being an internet aficionado. Modems, routers, Wi-Fi and browsers don’t scare you. And you probably even know your TikTok from a smartwatch. But there may still be some gaps in your online literacy. Try these posts on for size to get a crash-course in some of the finer details of broadband.
- Get the ultimate router reference guide
- Find out what online security threats to watch out for
- Finally figure out what a VPN is and when to use one
- Explore the modern smart home, room by room
8-10 answers correct
Wow, go ahead and brag to your friends because you are a certified Wi-Fi whiz. We bet you’re the one your family calls when they need computer help. While you definitely know your way around a URL, now’s the time to dive deeper. Expand your internet expertise with these techie blog posts.
- Make IP address conflicts a mystery no more
- Ever heard of an IMEI number? Here’s what you need to know
- Find out how changing your DNS can help you
- Use your online skills to win a free laptop!
Written by:Lisa Iscrupe
Writer, Broadband & Data Content
Lisa uses years of experience in sales and customer service for internet-TV providers to inform her writing on broadband. Her work has been referenced by CNN and other national sources. In Lisa’s Words: Ever… Read more
Edited by:Trey Paul
Editor, Head of Content
Saturday, January 16, 2021Which internet providers offer Price for Life plans?
Ari Howard — 3 min read
Thursday, January 14, 2021The average American uses 7GB of cellphone data monthly
Allconnect — 4 min read
Tuesday, January 12, 2021What is Xfinity Prepaid Internet?
David Anders — 4 min read