Internet providers in Chicago, IL
Find top internet providers in Chicago and compare availability, speeds, pricing and more, all in one place.
Searching for deals in your area
Residential internet providers in Chicago, IL, by availability
*Pricing per month plus taxes for length of contract. Additional fees and terms may apply. Pricing varies by location and availability. All prices subject to change at any time. May or may not be available based on service address. Speeds may vary. As of 06/20/19.
The three largest internet service providers in Chicago, IL, are AT&T, Xfinity and RCN.
AT&T offers DSL internet all over the Chicago metro area. AT&T fiber-optic internet service is more limited in availability. You’ll find fiber offered in select regions of areas such as Belmont Gardens, Skokie and Arlington Heights.
Xfinity is widely available throughout Chicago. From Park Ridge, Evanston and Lincolnwood down to Burbank, Palos Heights and Harvey, you’ll find that many homes across the metro area have access to Xfinity service. Xfinity also services much of Naperville, Bolingbrook, Joliet and Aurora.
Although Xfinity offers cable internet across most of the city, there are neighborhoods near Berkeley, Bedford Park, Crestwood and other regions where Xfinity isn’t available.
RCN mainly offers cable internet plans along the shoreline reaching up toward Lincolnwood and Evanston. Areas of Skokie, South Brighton and Oakland also have RCN as an internet option.
WOW! offers fast, cable internet primarily in Chicago suburbs further from downtown. Major areas with access to WOW! internet plans include Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Des Plaines and Arlington Heights.
Use our free ZIP check tool to learn more about popular internet providers around Chicago and shop plans offered at your address.
Compare the largest internet providers in Chicago
AT&T is the largest internet provider in Chicago, delivering speeds ranging from 5 Mbps up to 1,000 Mbps. AT&T offers fiber-optic internet in select areas.
Why Chicagoans love it
- Fast fiber upload speeds – AT&T Fiber upload speeds are perfect for live gaming and working from home.
- Equipment included – Get free wireless gateway rental with a new internet plan.
Xfinity provides cable internet to much of Chicago, IL. They also offer the fastest internet speeds available in Chicago, ranging from 15 Mbps to 2,000 Mbps.
Why Chicagoans love it
- Bundle savings – Customers save on TV & internet bundles with Xfinity.
- Hotspot access – Enjoy one of the largest hotspot networks with millions of free Wi-Fi hotspots across the U.S.
RCN offers cable plans to certain regions around downtown Chicago and some of the northern metro area. Speed options range from 50 Mbps to 1,000 Mbps.
Why Chicagoans love it
- No data caps – Stream and game without worrying about exceeding an internet data limit.
- No contract required – Customers looking for month-to-month internet plans can find options with RCN.
Fastest internet in Chicago, IL
Chicago, IL has above average access to fast internet speeds. The FCC reports speeds up to 250 Mbps or higher are available in more than 95% of Chicago. In comparison, speeds of 250 Mbps or more are only available to about half of the U.S.
Speeds up to 1,000 Mbps or faster are available in 18% of Chicago, but are only available to about 13% of the rest of the nation.
Fastest max advertised download speeds in Chicago
Where can you find fast internet in Chicago?
Areas that have AT&T Fiber, such as Humboldt Park and Belmont Gardens, can get fast fiber-optic speeds up to 1,000 Mbps while neighborhoods with AT&T DSL internet might get speeds up to 100 Mbps.
Xfinity has internet speeds up to 2,000 Mbps throughout most of Chicago, including surrounding suburbs.
RCN has more limited availability, but anywhere along the shore and into Skokie that RCN services, you’ll have access to internet speeds up to 1,000 Mbps.
WOW! internet offers service across southern Chicago and Chicago suburbs. In most areas where WOW! is available, you’ll be able to get cable internet speeds up to 1,000 Mbps.
Call to see who offers the fastest internet plan in your part of Chicago.
Chicago, IL Wi-Fi hotspots
A variety of public spaces in Chicago have free Wi-Fi service. One key program providing Wi-Fi hotspots across the city is the Chicago WiFi Program. Keep in mind that free Wi-Fi networks are easily accessible to anyone, so it’s smart to avoid online activities that involve passwords or sensitive information.
Here are a few public places where you can find access to the city’s free Wi-Fi:
- Public parks including Millennium Park and Daley Plaza
- Chicago Public Library locations
- Chicago beaches including 31st Street Beach, Hollywood Beach, Montrose Beach and more
You can also find Wi-Fi in public areas such as:
- Most coffee shops including Stumptown Coffee Roasters, Sawada Coffee and Gaslight Coffee Roasters
- Museums such as The Art Institute of Chicago and The Museum of Contemporary Art
- Restaurants like J.P. Graziano Grocery or Little Goat Diner
- Both Midway and O’Hare airports
If you have Xfinity internet service, you can access free provider Wi-Fi hotspots throughout Chicago. From Evanston to Arlington Heights and even out to Naperville, you’ll find Xfinity hotspots across the Chicago metro area. Even if you’re not an Xfinity customer, some locations have guest Wi-Fi access.
RCN and WOW! do not currently offer Wi-Fi hotspots in Chicago. AT&T has limited free Wi-Fi availability, and they recommend using a hotspot locator app to find AT&T hotspots.
- FeaturedMeet Locast, the free live streaming service TV networks are trying to kill Joe Supan — 4 min read
- FeaturedNeed a reason to move? Check out the cheap high-speed internet at these 11 cities! Samantha Cossick — 7 min read
- FeaturedAmerican businesses find creative ways to adapt to social distancing Joe Supan — 5 min read
Thursday, September 24, 2020Retro Tech Week: In the age of streaming, video stores offer an algorithm-free alternative
Joe Supan — 3 min read
Wednesday, September 23, 2020Retro Tech Week: Who still uses DVDs? Two million Netflix customers
Joe Supan — 4 min read
Tuesday, September 22, 2020Retro Tech Week: Americans feel nostalgic for old tech, but it may not be for the reasons you think
Ari Howard — 3 min read
Find internet providers in Chicago, IL
Finding the perfect internet provider for your online activities and connected devices is easy. Call now to speak with our internet experts about plans and providers around Chicago.