In response to the increased need for more internet speed and bandwidth, Google Fiber is launching a test for a 2 Gig service.
Not only will this new program double the currently available speed, but it will also be $100/mo. and come with a Wi-Fi 6 router and mesh extender, according to Google.
Initially, testers are only needed in Nashville and Huntsville, but other Google Fiber cities will be added soon.
“Game changers, super users, and families who need more from their internet can join the Google Fiber Trusted Tester program to be among the first to put the extra speed to use,” Google announced.
Google has used the Trusted Testers program for many years. Participants get to test Google Fiber products before they are officially available. Confidentiality is stressed to testers, as well.
According to the program overview, tests run one to four months. Not everyone who signs up will be chosen, but if you aren’t picked for this test, other tests will come along.
You do need to sign up for the service, first, though. “You have to sign up for Google Fiber service in order to be a trusted tester. However, you could be a new customer and qualify for some tests,” explains Google.
How to sign up
Google asks everyone to sign up here, using their custom form.
Some things to know:
- You can opt-out at any time
- You will need to file a non-disclosure agreement and some tests may have other confidentiality requirements
- If you signed up in 2019 to be a tester, you will need to sign up again to be considered for this new test
- Some tests may offer compensation
- You are expected to provide critical feedback on a regular basis
Not living in a Google Fiber serviceable area? Check out your internet options with Allconnect:
Allconnect: Let us compare providers for you
Why should you choose Allconnect? We’re the #1 broadband marketplace in the U.S, meaning you can trust us to search, compare and order internet and TV service for your home.Get started
Written by:Robin Layton
Editor, Broadband Content
Robin Layton is an editor with Allconnect. She works closely with the content team writers to ensure consumers get a fair and balanced reporting of the state of broadband services to help them understand the pro… Read more
Edited by:Joe Supan
Senior Writer, Broadband Content
- FeaturedLooking to move to a city with fast ? Check out the top 10 fiber cities in the U.S. Taylor Gadsden — 3 min read
- FeaturedHow fiber optic internet is making the internet industry more sustainable. Ari Howard — 4 min read
- FeaturedFrequently asked questions on internet speeds: What are Mbps and how many do I need? Joe Supan — 10 min read
Tuesday, September 27, 2022Guide to 5G spectrum bands
Robin Layton — 3 min read
Tuesday, September 27, 2022$502M awarded for rural high-speed internet connections
Robin Layton — 2 min read
Thursday, September 22, 2022The U.S. has the 6th fastest internet speed in the world, but many are still left behind
Joe Supan — 4 min read