If you’re a current AT&T customer or thinking about signing up for new AT&T service, there’s more to consider than just upload and download speeds. AT&T offers, like many internet service providers (ISPs), additional perks such as internet security services. Certainly, you could purchase this type of service separately. However, getting it for a reduced cost, or even free, can be an added value to your monthly internet bill.
We’ll tell you all about AT&T’s internet security service, including what type of software they use, any associated costs, features and parental controls.
What can AT&T Internet Security Suite do for you?
The first thing you’re probably wondering is what AT&T’s Internet Security Suite does and if it’s worth it. Take a look at some of the primary features you get included in your AT&T internet security package.
AT&T Internet Security Suite features:
- Guard your personal information against hackers
- Prevent and remove spyware
- Set up customizable parental controls
- Troubleshoot issues with 24/7 online support
Plus, AT&T’s internet security is easy to install and free with most AT&T internet plans. And it protects your family while they are browsing online, which can be especially important if you have children that will be accessing your home Wi-Fi.
What type of software does AT&T Internet Security Suite use?
AT&T Internet Security Suite is powered by McAfee, one of the largest online security providers worldwide. Founded in 1987, McAfee has over three decades of experience in the online security market. Plus, McAfee was awarded half a dozen industry awards in 2019 alone.
In short, McAfee is a trusted source for online security, on par with other well-known security services such as Norton and Kaspersky.
What does AT&T internet security cost?
The best part about the AT&T Internet Security Suite is it’s included with most AT&T internet plans at no extra charge. Any AT&T plan with download speeds of 3 Mbps or higher automatically comes with the security service. The security program can be installed on up to three separate computers (PC or Mac) in the home.
It should be noted that AT&T internet plans of 1.5 Mbps or lower, which are pretty rare, can still get the service for a fee of $5/mo.
What else can I do with the AT&T Internet Security Suite?
AT&T’s Internet Security Suite is a well-rounded security program. As such, it doesn’t just protect against viruses, spyware and malware. Here’s a host of other security-related actions you have access to with the AT&T internet security program:
- Run a computer health check – Checks for necessary updates or removable temporary files to improve your computer’s performance.
- Check website security ratings – McAfee SiteAdvisor alerts you of suspicious sites.
- View your security management dashboard – Find your security tools all in one place.
- Use McAfee Virtual Technician for free – Access online support at att.mcafee.com.
- Browse in stealth mode – Make your computer invisible to hackers.
- Bank safely online – Identity protection, anti-phishing and Site Advisor software secure your financial transactions.
- Scan external hard drives – Make sure hard drives are safe before using them.
- Repair and remove a variety of security threats – Security Suite guards against viruses, trojans, worms, bots and root-kits.
How do I install the AT&T Internet Security Suite?
Follow this easy-to-use guide to download and install your AT&T internet security on up to three computers in your home. Make sure your computer(s) meet the minimum requirements listed below before getting started.
Minimum requirements to install AT&T internet security
- Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or higher
- Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or higher
- Windows Vista and Windows Vista Service Pack 1
- Windows 7 or higher
- Mac OS X 10.8 or higher
- Intel processor
- 1 GB RAM or higher with 150 MB of available free drive space
*Not sure how to determine what Windows version or Service Pack you have? Follow these instructions to find out.
Don’t miss out on these security features. For the highest level of security, install the AT&T Internet Security Suite as soon as you become a new AT&T customer. If you’re an existing AT&T customer in need of more assistance to set up your security service, reach out to AT&T customer service.
Written by:Lisa Iscrupe
Writer, Broadband & Data Content
Lisa uses years of experience in sales and customer service for internet-TV providers to inform her writing on broadband. Her work has been referenced by CNN and other national sources. … Read more
- FeaturedWill Disney offer a new way to stream NFL Sunday Ticket? Sports fans might finally be able to cut the cord David Anders — 4 min read
- FeaturedAll you need to know about streaming TV — A beginner’s guide Joe Supan — 6 min read
- FeaturedCable vs. streaming vs. satellite: Which is best for bringing you the channels you want? Joe Supan — 5 min read
Friday, May 13, 2022Eligible households can now get high-speed internet for free
Robin Layton — 2 min read
Wednesday, May 11, 2022LGBTQ youth resources: Bridging the digital divide
Robin Layton — 10 min read
Wednesday, May 4, 2022What is a good internet speed? It depends on your needs
David Anders — 7 min read