Are you a current DISH customer or thinking about becoming one? Besides the two-year price guarantee and nationwide availability, there is another perk of DISH service. With the DISH Anywhere app, you can access your channel lineup from just about, well, anywhere. Here’s everything you need to know about the app, how to get it and what you can do with it to get the most out of your DISH TV services.
What is the DISH Anywhere app?
The app is an online streaming service and the easiest way to access all your favorite movies and shows when you’re not near your TV. Want tons of content? DISH Anywhere has over 50,000 TV shows and movies. Use the app to entertain the whole family whether you’re stuck waiting in line or traveling far from home.
DISH customers with a Hopper 2 or 3 DVR get extra DISH Anywhere perks included with their subscription and can access live streaming channels on the app. DISH Anywhere is accessible from any internet-connected device, including laptops, smartphones and tablets.
The app includes your complete live DISH TV channel lineup, so it’s perfect if you are interested in live breaking news, want to check in on your favorite sports team or looking to catch up on your recorded programs while you’re on the go.
How to get the DISH Anywhere app
You can quickly download the app on a variety of devices, as long as you have an internet connection. Make sure to log in with your DISH ID and password in order to access your entire channel lineup, including premium channels. Here’s how:
- Smartphones and tablets: Access and download the app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Streaming devices: The DISH Anywhere app is not currently available on Roku, Apple TV or Chromecast. It is, however, available on the Amazon Fire TV Stick.
- Computers and laptops: Go to https://www.dishanywhere.com to start watching.
Other DISH apps
DISH also has two other apps that may come in handy for DISH customers. If you like being able to manage all your entertainment from your smartphone, download these free apps along with DISH Anywhere.
- MyDISH app – Manage all aspects of your DISH account, including the ability to view and pay your bill, manage appointments and preferences and even order Pay-Per-View.
- DISH Music app – Use any TV audio systems that are connected to your DISH Hopper with Sling or Hopper 3 DVR to play your favorite tunes throughout your home.
What can I do with the DISH Anywhere app?
The DISH Anywhere app makes pausing and resuming shows or keeping little ones entertained a breeze — even without an internet connection. Here are some other cool things you can do with the DISH app.
- Started watching a show at home, but now it’s time to go? Pause your kid’s favorite show on your TV set, and resume it right where they left off in the app on any tablet or smartphone.
- Want to stay entertained, but going somewhere without an internet connection? Download your DVR recordings to your tablet in advance, and playback movies and shows when you’re offline later. This feature is great for plane trips and long car rides.
- Forgot to record your favorite show? Schedule your DVR to record from the DISH Anywhere app.
- Set passcode-protected parental controls right from the app.
What do customers say about the DISH Anywhere app?
The app earns a 4.3-star rating on the App Store and 3.6 stars on Google Play. Take a look at what DISH Anywhere app users have to say about its pros and cons.
DISH Anywhere app pros and cons
What DISH app users liked:
- Able to stream all channels, including local networks
- App interface has a similar look to the Hopper
- Able to access local sporting events even when out of town
Things that need improvement:
- Frequent lag when streaming, especially when using fast-forward or rewind functions
- App routinely crashes/is generally buggy
- Buttons are small and difficult to press
What are the system requirements for the DISH Anywhere app?
DISH recommends a minimum of 3 Mbps (upload and download) to successfully stream from the DISH Anywhere site or app. If you plan to access it from your Mac or PC, make sure your computer meets these minimum requirements:
- Microsoft Windows 7 or above
- Macintosh OS X 10.9 or above
As for web browsers, DISH also recommends using the latest versions of either Google Chrome or Apple Safari, and cookies must be enabled.
Try out the DISH Anywhere app and let us know what you think. Want more info on how to enhance your TV and internet experience at home? Check out our Resource Center and follow our experts on Facebook and Twitter.
Written by:Lisa Iscrupe
Writer, Broadband & Data Content
Lisa uses years of experience in sales and customer service for internet-TV providers to inform her writing on broadband. Her work has been referenced by CNN and other national sources. In Lisa’s Words: Ever… Read more
Edited by:Robin Layton
Editor, Broadband Content
FeaturedDISH opens website for wireless 5G service Ari Howard — 2 min read
Featured5 of the best parental control apps to keep your children safe online Robin Layton — 2 min read
FeaturedThe ultimate guide to the Spectrum TV app Lisa Iscrupe — 5 min read
Friday, February 23, 2024The average adult spends over seven hours online – here’s how you can manage your screen time
Camryn Smith — 5 min read
Friday, February 23, 2024What is municipal broadband?
Robin Layton — 3 min read
Thursday, February 22, 2024How to control your TV with Alexa
Lisa Iscrupe — 4 min read