At Allconnect, we work to present quality information with editorial integrity. While this post may contain offers from our partners, our opinions are our own. Here’s how we make money.
If you’re considering new Xfinity internet service, you may have noticed an unexpected equipment rental charge added to the cost of service. At first glance, an extra $13/mo.* may not seem like much of an expense, but internet service fees can quickly add up if you’re not careful. One of the best ways to eliminate some of those fees and save on your monthly bill is to invest in your own modem, router or 2-in-1 gateway device.
Connecting a lot of devices?
Multiple devices? Get the power you need. Shop internet and TV on Allconnect, for free.
Compare internet and TV providers for the power you need to stay connected. Shop internet and TV on Allconnect, for free.Shop providers
|NETGEAR CM400||Xfinity Internet Performance Pro and lower|
|NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S C7800||Xfinity Internet Extreme Pro and lower|
|ARRIS SURFboard SBG8300||Xfinity Internet Gigabit and lower|
|ASUS CM-32_AC2600||Xfinity Internet Gigabit Pro and lower|
Allconnect® is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, Allconnect is responsible for all content on this page.
Best Xfinity compatible modems and routers
Here are our top Xfinity routers and modems by maximum speed if you’re considering purchasing your equipment from a third party.
Best for Xfinity Internet Performance Pro (200 Mbps): NETGEAR CM400
The NETGEAR CM400 is an affordable way to ditch rental fees for good. The CM400 can successfully deliver speeds wirelessly to a moderate amount of internet-connected devices, with the help of your favorite Wi-Fi router. The CM400 is engineered with 8×4 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0 technology.
Best for Xfinity Internet Extreme Pro (600 Mbps): NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S C7800
The Nighthawk is built with the fastest DOCSIS technology (3.1) supports speeds that rival fiber although compatible with cable providers. The 2-in-1 device is best suited for high-speed Xfinity plans, multiple users and internet activities like virtual reality gaming.
Best for Xfinity Internet Gigabit (1,000 Mbps): ARRIS SURFboard SBG8300
This dual-band Wi-Fi router/modem combo is the perfect 2-in-1 gateway device to jump into internet equipment rental. Built-in Alexa compatibility lets users control their home network through voice management and sync other Alexa-enabled devices. It’s also capable of supporting speeds up to 1,000 Mbps if you’re looking to browse and connect without limits.
Best for Xfinity Internet Gigabit Pro (2,000 Mbps): ASUS CM-32_AC2600
This gateway 2-in-1 device is certified by Xfinity, as well as a host of other popular cable providers. The ASUS is built on DOCSIS 3.0 technology and features a 32×8 modem and dual bands for traffic prioritization. Personalize your home network with “at-a-glance” views of who’s connected, smart QoS controls, traffic monitoring and parental controls.
Should you rent or purchase your Xfinity equipment?
Buying a modem and router or a combination gateway device from a third-party can be a beneficial option for Xfinity customers looking to cut back on their annual internet bill. Check out some pros and cons of renting Xfinity equipment compared to buying your own.
Rental vs. purchase of Xfinity equipment
Xfinity equipment rental
✓ Xfinity customer support
✓ Guaranteed software updates
✓ Easy to return equipment
✓ Guaranteed speed and plan compatibility
✓ Xfinity repair service included
X Monthly rental payments
X Payments are thrown away on usage
Xfinity equipment purchase
✓ One-time charge
✓ Long-term investment in equipment
✓ Lower annual internet bill
✓ Choose the equipment you want
X Repair and equipment upgrades are your responsibility
X Limited customer support after warranty expires or device ages
Thinking equipment rental may be more beneficial for you? Learn more about whether or not you should buy or rent router and modem equipment from your internet service provider.
What to look for in an Xfinity modem and router
If you’ve decided on purchasing your own equipment, there are a few features you’ll want to look out for to ensure that once you buy, you’re happy with your Xfinity internet performance.
- DOCSIS Technology – “Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification” or DOCSIS is used to transfer data quickly over the coaxial cable used for a cable TV and internet connection. This technology has evolved from the initial 1.0 version to today’s fastest DOCSIS 3.1 version.
- Maximum speed capability – If you purchase Xfinity’s Gigabit Pro plan, which comes with speeds up to 2,000 Mbps, you’re going to also want to purchase equipment that’s capable of handling speeds that fast. Your modem can hinder your internet speeds no matter what plan you’re paying for.
- Channel bonding – If you’re familiar with internet traffic, modem channels are like lanes on that highway. The more channels your modem has, the more internet traffic it can handle without issue. The NETGEAR C7000 – 1AZNAS, for example, has 32×8 channel bonding. That means it dedicates 32 channels to downloading data and 8 channels to uploading, which is perfect for Xfinity’s fastest speeds.
- Security – Make sure your router uses a password with nothing less than WPA2 or WPA3 encryption. Your home internet network can be the first virtual door to your entire home security system.
- App-based management – Many routers on today’s market come with apps that can simplify setup and network management. From these apps, you can monitor the users on your home Wi-Fi and be updated when your router needs software updates.
- For a full list of equipment with Xfinity services, visit Comcast Xfinity’s compatibility list of modems and routers to search equipment by speed, brand and DOCSIS version. Looking for more information about other internet providers available near you? Call Allconnectto speak to an internet expert today or stay connected to our Resource Center for the latest news.
For a full list of equipment with Xfinity services, visit Comcast Xfinity’s compatibility list of modems and routers to search equipment by speed, brand and DOCSIS version. Looking for more information about other internet providers available near you? Call Allconnect to speak to an internet expert today or stay connected to our Resource Center for the latest news.
Save when you comparison shop
Compare internet, TV and phone service offers in your area on Allconnect, for free.
Search internet, TV and phone services for offers in your area when you compare providers on Allconnect, for free.Compare providers
Taylor is a veteran member of the Allconnect content team and has spearheaded a number of projects, most notably our holiday tech gift guide. Among her other top trafficked pieces is Best… Read more