At Allconnect, we work to present quality information with editorial integrity. While this post may contain offers from our partners, our opinions are our own. Here’s how we make money.
Having a hard time keeping track of all your remote controls? When you have a streaming player, DVD/Blu-Ray component, cable/satellite set-top box and more, it can be overwhelming. But using an RCA universal remote control could make it easier to manage. There is a wide variety available, and depending on which model you choose, you can manage up to eight devices. That means no more having to store a bunch of remotes in one drawer or losing them altogether.
But first, you need to program it. All you need is patience … and to check out these simple steps. But patience is key because sometimes the first try can fail. But don’t worry about a thing, because the time spent will ultimately be time saved for not having to change controls for each device you own.
Find your type of TV
Get the right service with the channels you want when you compare and order service on Allconnect, for free.
When it comes to TV, you’ve got options. Get the right service with the right channels when you compare and order on Allconnect, for free.Compare TV providers
What do I need to program my RCA universal remote control?
Here is a short list of what it is needed in order to get set up.
1. RCA universal remote control
2. Brand new batteries (check packaging for specific type)
3. This handy guide and instructions
4. Patience (See above!)
Throughout this article, we will guide you on how to program your remote control without a code. But in case you simply need the codes, you can go here. To continue without a code, keep reading.
How do I program my RCA universal remote for my TV?
Follow these easy steps:
1. Manually turn on your TV.
2. Aim your remote at the TV panel and press and hold the TV button.
3. Once the light is turned on, at the same time, press and hold the “On/Off” button until the light turns on again.
4. Press the Play or the Slow button on your remote for five seconds.
5. After this, your TV should turn off.
6. If the TV turns off, that means it’s working. If it does not turn the TV off, press the Play or Slow button again. Repeat this process every five seconds until the device turns off.
Once the device turns off that means the remote control should be in sync with your TV. If this process does not work, try to be patient. Just repeat these steps, making sure you are pressing the buttons the full time that is needed.
What about programming my RCA universal remote for my other devices?
The first thing you need to make sure is that your universal remote has an option for it. Say, for example, DVD, streaming device, Blu-ray, etc. Here are the instructions you need to follow.
1. Manually turn on the device you want to set up, making sure that your RCA universal remote is aiming towards it.
2. Press and hold the button that matches the device you are pairing. Wait for the light on the remote to blink and then stay steady for you to follow the next step.
3. Press and hold the device button at the same time as the Power button, until the light turns off and on. Most of the time this takes up to five seconds.
4. Release both the Power and the device button. The Power button light must stay on… if it does not, repeat steps 2 and 3.
5. Once you’ve done this part, use the power button on your remote control to scan the code needed to set up your device. If the component turns off that means the control already found the code for it to pair with your device.
6. After this is done, press the Stop button to save the code for that device, and check all functions to make sure they are working. If not, repeat the steps again until it works.
As with the TV set up, you might need to do these steps more than once, but it will be worth it.
Congratulations — you’ve set up your universal remote control! If you’re still interested in doing more tasks on your own, take a look at the other DIY articles in our Resource Center.