Once you’ve downloaded the Google Home app, you can control thousands of compatible lights, cameras, speakers, Nest devices, Chromecast and more, plus view helpful reminders and notifications. Here’s our easy guide on how to set up Google Home.
Setting Up Google Home
- Make sure your Google Home device is plugged into a power outlet and turned on.
- Connect your mobile device to your Wi-Fi network.
- If you’re using an iPhone, enable Bluetooth.
- Download the Google Home app on your mobile device.
- Open the Google Home app.
- Follow the instructions to connect your Google Home device to the Google Home app.
- When prompted, select Play Test Sound to confirm the connection is successful. Choose I Heard the Sound to proceed.
- To easily identify your new device, assign it to a room.
- Select the wireless network you’d like to connect your Google Home device to and enter your password.
- Once connected, select Continue.
- Sign in to your existing Google account.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to complete setup.
How to set up Google Home Mini
Google’s smallest smart speaker, the Google Home Mini, is easy to set up. Here’s how.
- Download the Google Home app for your smartphone or tablet and launch it.
- The app should automatically detect the device. If it doesn’t, just select Device in the top right corner, then Add New Device.
- Select Set up.
- A sound should come from your new device. If you heard it, tap Yes in the app.
- Office, living room, bedroom — now select where you have your device located. Select Next.
- Select your Wi-Fi and enter the password. Select Connect.
- Review privacy information provided and hit Next.
- If you want personalized results, follow the instructions to train the device to recognize your individual voice. (Click Yes, I’m in if you’ve already done this with another device). Once training is complete, tap Continue.
- Google Home Mini takes it a step further and allows you to choose between several voices. Play a sample of each (they’ve even offered John Legend in the past!), then decide. Once you’ve selected a voice, hit Next. (Don’t like it? That’s OK. If you want to change this later, it’s easily done under Settings.)
- If you would like to receive customized local information, like traffic and weather, add your address.
- Think you’ll be making purchases through your device? If so, add in a payment method. When finished, select Next.
- Select Continue. The final screen gives you sample commands.
- Select Finish Setup and voila! You’re ready to go.
Running into issues? Use the old “unplug it” rule. Google recommends unplugging your device, waiting 10 seconds, and then plugging it back in. That should do it.
Still having issues? To return to factory settings, on the top of your Smart Display, press and hold the volume up and volume down buttons for 20 seconds. Your device should then restart the setup process.
Now that you know how to set up Google Home, be sure to bookmark our Resource Center and follow our experts on Facebook and Twitter for more information on the latest smart home devices and how to hook them up.