At Allconnect, we work to present quality information with editorial integrity. While this post may contain offers from our partners, our opinions are our own. Here’s how we make money.
Boasting an expansive channel lineup and an impressive user experience, YouTube TV may easily be one of the best live TV streaming services out there. The only drawback is that it costs a little more than some other popular streaming options. Even in our YouTube TV review, it scored over nine points in every other area except value.
But the higher price could be well worth all the perks the service comes with. This post gives you a closer look at YouTube TV packages and pricing to help you figure out if the service is right for you. So, how much is YouTube TV?
Stream TV on your terms
Shop streaming services for your favorite shows and movies on demand, plus live TV.
Cutting the cord doesn’t mean losing live TV. Explore streaming services that have your favorite shows and movies on demand, plus live TV.Compare streaming services
YouTube TV pricing
|Number of live channels||85+|
|Cloud DVR storage||Unlimited for 9 months|
|Number of simultaneous streams||3|
|Number of user profiles per account||6|
The YouTube TV price structure is pretty straightforward, offering a single package for $64.99/mo. So you won’t get options like YouTube Premium or any other YouTube TV plans that offer ad-free streaming.
This single YouTube TV package has an impressive offering in terms of channel lineup and premium features, so it could be worth the investment. The only problem is that some people might find the lack of options a little inconvenient and limiting.
With your YouTube TV subscription, you get access to over 85 channels. This includes some of the top cable networks such as ABC, AMC, CBS, CNN, ESPN, HGTV and more. One of the best things about this plan is that it comes with a robust selection of leading sports channels and regional networks. In fact, it offers one of the best channel lineups for sports fans compared to other live TV streaming services.
Along with this expansive channel lineup, YouTube TV also offers premium features like unlimited cloud DVR storage so you can record live TV programming to watch later. And you get to keep these recordings for up to nine months. Other leading services like Hulu + Live TV and Sling limit this storage space to just several hours, so the higher YouTube TV cost makes a lot of sense.
In addition to this, the singular YouTube TV plan lets you share your account with up to six family members. And you can stream live TV from up to three devices at the same time, so there’s no fighting over whether to watch the game or tune into the latest episode of your favorite show. All this considered, the YouTube TV package is worth the price even though it may be slightly on the expensive side.
What content does YouTube TV include in its package?
Through its impressive channel lineup, the single YouTube TV plan gives you access to breaking news, live sports broadcasts, movies and new episodes of your favorite shows. So it has everything that cable has to offer. Besides live TV, it also lets you watch movies and shows from the rich on-demand content library of some of its channels.
With your YouTube TV subscription, you get to binge on hit shows like Better Call Saul, Killing Eve and The Walking Dead on AMC. Or you can soak up all the drama and excitement of reality TV shows like The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Top Chef through Bravo. The service also offers plenty more top lifestyle and entertainment channels, including Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, E!, FX, Paramount Network and SundanceTV.
Its news channel lineup lets you tune into the latest updates from top networks like ABC News Live, BBC World News, CNN and MSNBC. Plus, you get local news channels based on your location. So, for instance, someone in New Orleans will get local news channels like WGNO from ABC and WWL-TV from CBS.
The most impressive part about the YouTube TV channel offering is the abundance of quality sports programming. You get leading sports channels like CBS Sports Network, FS1, MLB Network and NBA TV. It also comes with a whole slate of ESPN channels such as ACC Network, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU and SEC Network.
Moreover, your YouTube TV subscription will let you tune in to live games of your local teams through regional sports channels like NBC Sports and FOX Sports in select markets. That means if you live in New Orleans, you get to watch Pelicans games on FOX Sports New Orleans. And someone who lives in the San Antonio region can watch the Spurs on FOX Sports Southwest.
YouTube TV also offers a decent lineup of family channels, providing access to Cartoon Network, Freeform, Nickelodeon and Universal Kids. It also has a whole slate of Disney channels including Disney Channel, Disney Junior and Disney XD. The service also carries PBS Kids, making it the only streaming option to have this channel at the time of writing this post.
What are the add-on packages with YouTube TV?
Besides its already robust channel lineup, YouTube TV gives you the option to further customize your subscription with add-ons. You can choose from over a dozen add-ons for standalone streaming services as well as premium channels. This gives you the freedom to customize your subscription to match your unique streaming needs.
- Acorn TV ($5.99/mo.): For the best of British TV, YouTube TV offers the Acorn TV add-on for an extra $5.99/mo. Although this costs the same as subscribing directly, combining it with your YouTube TV subscription makes it easier to manage all your streaming services in one place.
- AMC Premiere ($4.99/mo.): The AMC Premiere add-on gives you access to iconic and popular shows like Comic Book Men, Doctor Who, Riviera and The Little Drummer Girl. It costs an extra $4.99/mo., which is the same as a direct subscription.
- Cinemax ($9.99/mo.): Get access to tons of premium programming from Cinemax for an additional $9.99/mo. The add-on price is the same as a direct subscription to the service.
- CuriosityStream ($2.99/mo.): For thousands of compelling documentaries on-demand, get the CuriosityStream add-on for $2.99/mo. This costs the same as subscribing directly to the service.
- EPIX ($5.99/mo.): Watch captivating EPIX originals like Belgravia, Godfather of Harlem, Laurel Canyon and Pennyworth for an extra $5.99/mo. You pay the same as a direct subscription, but having all of these services in one place makes billing and streaming easier.
- FOX Soccer Plus ($14.99/mo.): Diehard soccer fans can also get the FOX Soccer Plus add-on for $14.99/mo. to access games and highlights from top leagues around the world. This includes the FA Cup, UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League action. The add-on price costs the same as a direct subscription.
- HBO ($14.99/mo.): For access to some of the best HBO premium programming, add the channel to your YouTube TV subscription for an extra $14.99/mo. The price for this add-on stays more or less the same across major streaming services and cable networks.
- HBO Max ($14.99/mo.): Alternatively, you can also get the HBO Max add-on instead and access all the premium programming available with HBO along with HBO Max originals. Even for this add-on, you have to pay the same as a direct subscription to the service.
- NBA League Pass ($28.99/season): To watch your favorite out-of-market teams in action, you can add the NBA League Pass service to your YouTube TV subscription for $28.99/season. This costs the same as directly subscribing to the service, and you’ll have the option to upgrade to League Pass Premium for $39.99/season.
- SHOWTIME ($10.99/mo.): For access to addictive SHOWTIME originals such as Billions, Ray Donovan, Shameless and The Chi, add the channel to your YouTube TV subscription for $10.99/mo. That’s the same price you’d pay for a direct subscription to the service.
- Shudder ($5.99/mo.): Horror fans will love the Shudder add-on, which costs an extra $5.99/mo. and gives you access to dark and twisted shows like Born to Kill, Creepshow and Rillington Place. You pay the same for this add-on as getting it through a direct subscription.
- STARZ ($8.99/mo.): Get the STARZ add-on for an additional $8.99/mo. and stream hit movies and shows. This includes access to popular STARZ originals such as Hightown, Magic City, Outlander and Spartacus: War of the Damned. The add-on costs the same as a direct subscription to the service.
- Sundance Now ($6.99/mo.): For fans of political thrillers and true-crime series, the Sundance Now add-on makes sense at $6.99/mo. This add-on costs the same as the standalone streaming service and also gives you access to original dramas.
- UMC ($4.99/mo.): YouTube TV also lets you add the Urban Movie Channel to your subscription for an extra $4.99/mo. This mainly focuses on movies and shows that tell the stories of Black Americans. And the add-on costs the same as a direct subscription.
YouTube TV doesn’t offer any add-ons for enhanced features at the time of writing this post.
Which YouTube TV package is right for me?
Since YouTube TV only offers a single package, the real question is whether or not the service is right for you. Compared to other major live TV streaming services such as Hulu + Live TV and Sling, it costs a bit more. But it has far more channels than those two options and has a particularly impressive lineup of sports programming.
In addition, it offers unlimited cloud DVR storage for nine months and allows up to three simultaneous streams. So with all this considered, the service makes perfect sense for anyone who doesn’t mind paying a little more for premium features and comprehensive live TV experiences. In particular, the service makes the most sense for sports fans.
By Jacqueline Zote
Stop negotiating channels
Choose streaming services that match your watching habits when you compare on Allconnect.
Watch what you want, when and where you want. Choose streaming services that match your watching habits when you compare on Allconnect.Shop streaming services
- FeaturedAre you losing money by not bundling? Sales pros chime in! Lisa Iscrupe — 6 min read
- FeaturedStreaming services step up promotions during social distancing Joe Supan — 5 min read
- FeaturedWant to save money on your cable and internet bills? Our insiders show you how Samantha Cossick — 6 min read
Sunday, October 25, 2020How to switch internet providers
Alex Sheehan — 6 min read
Saturday, October 24, 2020How iPhone prices went from $650 to $1,000 in five years
Joe Supan — 5 min read
Friday, October 23, 2020Top cafes with Wi-Fi and outdoor seating in Atlanta
Allconnect — 7 min read