At Allconnect, we work to present quality information with editorial integrity. While this post may contain offers from our partners, our opinions are our own. Here’s how we make money.
With the advent of streaming devices, like Roku, it’s easier than ever to watch your favorite NBA teams from the comfort of your own home. Roku hit the market almost 10 years ago as a way for people to stream popular shows and movies right from their TV set.
A few years ago, Roku took the service one step further by creating channels that allow viewers to watch specific programs, like sports games and cooking shows. Today, you can watch NBA on Roku through the NBA channel, which is available for NBA TV and NBA League Pass subscribers. If you want to watch NBA on Roku, keep reading to find out how to do it.
Stream TV on your terms
Shop streaming services for your favorite shows and movies on demand, plus live TV.
Cutting the cord doesn’t mean losing live TV. Explore streaming services that have your favorite shows and movies on demand, plus live TV.Compare streaming services
What Roku package do you need to watch the NBA?
You can watch NBA games through Roku’s NBA app if you have NBA TV, NBA League Pass or NBA League Pass Premier. If you have a cable subscription through a participating provider, you can also stream live NBA games through the free TNT, ESPN or ABC Roku apps.
|NBA League Pass||$29.99/yr.||No|
|NBA League Pass Premier||$39.99/yr.||No|
|Roku cable apps||Free||No|
NBA TV + League Pass
Basketball fans can watch live and recorded NBA games through Roku if they have NBA TV or an NBA League Pass subscription. You can purchase a package through the Roku channel store or the NBA League Pass website. Packages start at $19.99/yr. and max out at just under $60/yr. Keep in mind that certain games are broadcast nationally and are not available for live viewing. Local blackouts may also limit the games you have access to, but most games are archived and become available for streaming within three days.
Roku cable apps
If you have a cable subscription that includes TNT, ESPN or ABC, you can download free cable apps on Roku to watch NBA games. You can also watch TV shows and movies that air on these channels through your Roku device.
Does Roku require an add-on to watch the NBA?
If you don’t have cable and want to watch NBA games through Roku, you’ll need to purchase a subscription to NBA TV or NBA League Pass that you can watch through Roku’s NBA app. Here’s how you can download the app:
- Step one: Download the NBA app through the Roku channel store.
- Step two: If you already have an NBA TV or NBA League Pass account, sign in with your credentials.
- Step three: If you don’t already have an NBA TV or NBA League Pass subscription, you’ll be given the option to purchase one when you add the Roku NBA app.
What devices do you need to watch the NBA on Roku
To watch the NBA on Roku, you don’t need any special devices besides your TV, of course. Once you download the NBA app and sign in to your NBA TV or NBA League Pass account, you’ll be able to start streaming games and watching exclusive NBA TV shows. You also have the option to stream NBA games through the Roku app on your smartphone.
Do you need an app?
There is no mobile app required to watch the NBA on Roku. You will however, need to download the NBA app from the Roku channel store. That’s how you’ll access your NBA TV or League Pass subscription.
How to watch the NBA on Roku step-by-step
Watching the NBA on Roku is pretty simple. There are just a few steps you need to follow before you can start streaming live games:
- Step one: Connect your Roku device and download the Roku free trial.
- Step two: Use your remote to navigate to the Roku channel store and download the NBA app.
- Step three: If you have NBA TV through your cable provider, sign in to your cable account. If not, you’ll be prompted to purchase an NBA TV or NBA League Pass subscription. Compare packages to see which one makes the most sense for your needs.
- Step four: If you don’t have NBA TV but want to use your cable package to stream games, download the TNT, ESPN and ABC apps through the Roku channel store. You’ll need to sign in to your cable account to verify your cable subscription.
- Step five: Check the game schedule and log in to the NBA app or one of the cable apps to start streaming before tip-off.
To sum it up
With a Roku device, it’s easier than ever before to stream NBA games, especially for cord cutters. If you don’t have a cable subscription, you can buy an NBA TV or NBA League Pass subscription which will give you access to live games through Roku’s NBA app.
For those who are still loyal to cable, you can watch the NBA on Roku through the free ESPN, TNT or ABC Roku apps.
By Elizabeth Rivelli
Stop negotiating channels
Choose streaming services that match your watching habits when you compare on Allconnect.
Watch what you want, when and where you want. Choose streaming services that match your watching habits when you compare on Allconnect.Shop streaming services
Tuesday, November 24, 2020What is Wi-Fi? Get the basics on what you need to know
Taylor Gadsden — 4 min read
Sunday, November 22, 20208 smartphone grievances and quick solutions to try
Taylor Gadsden — 5 min read
Saturday, November 21, 2020Internet installers share behind-the-scenes info you probably didn’t know, but should
Lisa Iscrupe — 8 min read