At Allconnect, we work to present quality information with editorial integrity. While this post may contain offers from our partners, our opinions are our own. Here’s how we make money.
Cutting the cord is a great way to save money on cable. And now, basketball fans can watch NBA on Amazon Prime Video so they never miss a game. Amazon Prime Video is free with your Amazon Prime membership, which comes with lots of added perks, like free two-day shipping on millions of items.
Amazon started streaming NBA games back in 2018, so it’s a relatively new offering, but it’s a valuable addition to the sports programming lineup. If you want to watch NBA on Amazon Prime Video, keep reading to see what packages you need and how to access live games.
Stream TV on your terms
Shop streaming services for your favorite shows and movies on demand, plus live TV.
Cutting the cord doesn’t mean losing live TV. Explore streaming services that have your favorite shows and movies on demand, plus live TV.Compare streaming services
What Amazon Prime Video package do you need to watch the NBA?
To watch NBA on Amazon Prime Video, you need two things — an Amazon Prime membership and an NBA League Pass subscription. You can’t access NBA games directly through Amazon Prime Video like you can with some NFL games.
|NBA League Pass||Starting at $28.99/mo.||No|
Amazon Prime memberships start at $12.99/mo., and there are discounts available for students and individuals with an EBT or Medicaid card. Besides Amazon Prime Video access, prime members are eligible for free two-day shipping on millions of items, free grocery delivery through Amazon Fresh, free ebooks and digital magazines through Prime Reading and much more.
NBA League Pass
NBA League Pass is a subscription that allows you to stream live out-of-market NBA games through Amazon Prime Video and many other popular streaming services. There are several subscription tiers available. NBA League Pass starts at $28.99/mo. and packages max out at $60/mo. for NBA League Pass Premium + NBA TV.
Does Amazon Prime Video require an add-on to watch the NBA?
Yes, you must have an NBA League Pass subscription to watch NBA games on Amazon Prime Video. Here’s how to get a League Pass subscription:
- Step one: Visit the NBA League Pass website and select a package. Or, find NBA League Pass through the Amazon Prime Video catalogue and purchase a subscription directly through Amazon. Before you checkout, read the fine print to see which teams are blacked out in your area.
- Step two: Go through the checkout process and start streaming NBA games through the League Pass website, Amazon Prime Video or another platform. There is a limit of five devices for each League Pass account.
What devices do you need to watch the NBA on Amazon Prime Video
You’ll need a device that is compatible with Amazon Prime Video in order to watch NBA games through NBA League Pass. Here is a list of devices that work with Prime Video:
- Amazon Prime Video app on your smartphone or tablet
- Computer web browser
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV
- Compatible Smart TVs
- Gaming consoles (PS3, PS4, Xbox One and Xbox 360)
Do you need an app?
To watch NBA games on Amazon Prime Video, you will need an app to stream on your phone, tablet, gaming console, smart TV or other streaming device. Navigate to the device’s app or channel store and search for Amazon Prime Video. You don’t need an app to watch NBA games through Amazon Prime Video on your computer’s internet browser.
How to watch the NBA on Amazon Prime Video step-by-step
Watching the NBA on Amazon Prime Video is a multi-step process, but it’s quick and simple. Here’s how to get set up:
- Step one: If you’re not already an Amazon Prime member, download the Amazon Prime Video free trial.
- Step two: Visit the NBA League Pass website and select one of the packages, or purchase a League Pass subscription through Amazon Prime Video directly.
- Step three: Login to your Amazon Prime account from your browser and find the NBA League Pass page through the Amazon Prime Video catalogue. Or, download the Amazon Prime Video app on the device you want to watch on, sign in and search for NBA League Pass.
- Step four: Tune into live out-of-market games, or check out highlights and game replays in the off-season.
To sum it up
Basketball is one of most widely watched sports. With Amazon Prime Video and NBA League Pass, you no longer need cable to watch your favorite games. If you’re not already a Prime member, we recommend signing up for the Amazon Prime free trial. You get 30 days to test out perks like free two-day shipping on tons of products, free TV shows and movies through Amazon Prime Video, plus lots of extras.
By Elizabeth Rivelli
Stop negotiating channels
Choose streaming services that match your watching habits when you compare on Allconnect.
Watch what you want, when and where you want. Choose streaming services that match your watching habits when you compare on Allconnect.Shop streaming services
- FeaturedAre you aware of all the perks of your Amazon Prime subscription? Lisa Iscrupe — 7 min read
- FeaturedHow are Americans passing the time during social distancing? With a lot of streaming Joe Supan — 3 min read
- FeaturedNeed your hoops fix? Here are the top 10 basketball movies you can stream now Joe Supan — 7 min read
Tuesday, November 24, 2020What is Wi-Fi? Get the basics on what you need to know
Taylor Gadsden — 4 min read
Sunday, November 22, 20208 smartphone grievances and quick solutions to try
Taylor Gadsden — 5 min read
Saturday, November 21, 2020Internet installers share behind-the-scenes info you probably didn’t know, but should
Lisa Iscrupe — 8 min read