At Allconnect, we work to present quality information with editorial integrity. While this post may contain offers from our partners, our opinions are our own. Here’s how we make money.
- H2O Wireless runs on the AT&T network
- Unlimited talk and text including international
- Can bring your own phone if it’s GSM-compatible
- Subject to network data throttling
- Family plans have lower price per line
H2O Wireless is a prepaid mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that utilizes the AT&T cellular network with competitive rates and no contract. This means that you can take advantage of the wide-reaching network coverage offered by AT&T without any of the fees or contract obligations often associated with major cell carriers.
All plans with H2O Wireless include unlimited talk and text with varying data plan options. While talk and text quality is comparable to that of AT&T, the data may not be on par. If you tend to have high data usage that requires a fast downloading speed, H2O Wireless data plans may not be able to keep up. Average download speeds for H2O are around 8 Mbps, whereas AT&T reports 30 Mbps.
H2O Wireless offers several other perks like unlimited international talk and text and competitive family plan bundles. This phone company may be a good fit for you if you have a family who keeps in touch largely by talking and texting, especially if you communicate regularly with family members abroad.
H2O Wireless phones
There are several H2O phone deals with autopay discounts and financing options, all through Affirm.
- iPhone 7 32GB for $149
- iPhone 7 Plus 32GB for $249
- iPhone SE 64GB for $149
- Samsung Galaxy A51 for $400
- Samsung Galaxy S9 for $600
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ for $700
H2O Wireless plans
H2O plans all include unlimited talk and text and offer data packages ranging from Basic to Unlimited.
- H2O Wireless prepaid plans allow you to pay in advance for your monthly talk, text and data
- Family plans save $5 per line when you bundle
- All plans have unlimited talk and text
- Data with H2O Wireless is throttled to 8 Mbps, so if you need fast downloading speed you may be interested in their Unlimited+ plan with Hotspot
- Unlimited data plans decrease to 2G speeds after 30GB
- Additional discounts are available with autopay
|Price||Price (w/ auto-pay)||Talk & Text||Data|
|$50/mo.||$45/mo.||Unlimited||Unlimited (30GB of 4G)|
|$60/mo.||$54/mo.||Unlimited||Unlimited + Hotspot (30GB of 4G)|
Pricing per month plus taxes. Additional fees and terms may apply. As of 11/03/20.
How do H2O Wireless’s prices compare?
|Carrier||Price per GB*||4GB or less||5-9GB||10-25GB||Unlimited|
|UNREAL Mobile||$3.19||$15 (3GB)||$20 (8GB)||$25 (12GB)||–|
|Mint Mobile**||$3.19||$15 (3GB)||$20 (8GB)||$25 (12GB)||$30|
|Metro by T-Mobile||$4.00||–||–||$40 (10GB)||$50-$60|
|Red Pocket||$4.03||$19 (3GB)||$30 (8GB)||$40 (20GB)||$60|
|Net10||$4.24||$20 (2GB)||$35 (5GB)||$40 (10GB)|
|Straight Talk Wireless||$4.40||–||$35 (5GB)||$45 (25GB)||$55|
|U.S. Cellular||$5.00||–||$40 (8GB)||–||$55-$65|
|T-Mobile||$5.50||$15 (2GB)||$25 (5GB)||$40 (10GB)||$50-$85|
|Simple Mobile||$5.67||$25 (3GB)||$30 (5GB)||$40 (15GB)||$50-$60|
|Boost Mobile||$5.80||$10 (1GB)|
|$25 (5GB)||$35 (10GB)|
|H2O Wireless||$5.89||$20 (2GB)||$30 (6GB)||$40 (15GB)||$50-$60|
|Page Plus Cellular||$7.50||$30 (3GB)||$40 (8GB)||–||$55|
|Verizon||$8.75||–||$55 (5GB)||$65 (10GB)||$65-$90|
|FreedomPop||$8.92||$17 (1GB) $25 (4GB)||–||$35 (10GB)||$55|
|Ultra Mobile||$9.00||$19 (1GB) $23 (2GB)||$29 (5GB)||$39 (15GB)||$39|
|Credo Mobile||$9.15||$50 (3GB)||$55 (9GB)||$70 (15GB)||$70|
|Cricket Wireless||$9.50||$30 (2GB)||–||$40 (10GB)||$55-$60|
|Republic Wireless||$9.75||$20 (1GB) $25 (2GB) $30 (3GB) $35 (4GB)||$40 (5GB) $45 (6GB) $50 (7GB) $55 (8GB) $60 (9GB)||$65 (10GB) $75 (12GB) $90 (15GB)||–|
|AT&T||$10.00||$30 (2GB)||$40 (8GB)||–||$50-$85|
|Total Wireless||$11.33||$25 (1GB)||$35 (5GB)||$50 (25GB)||–|
|Tracfone||$14.17||$20 (1GB) $25 (2GB) $30 (3GB)||–||–||–|
|Consumer Cellular||$16.83||$25 (0.5GB) $30 (3GB)||–||$40 (10GB) $50 (15GB)||$60|
|Google Fi||$18.80||$30 (1GB) $40 (2GB) $50 (3GB) $60 (4GB)||$70 (5GB) $80 (6GB)||–||$70|
*Unlimited plans not factored in.
**Introductory rates, also available with 12-month renewal
All plans include unlimited talk and text. Pricing per month plus taxes. Additional fees and terms may apply. As of 11/06/20.
H2O Wireless deals
H2O Wireless offers several perks its their plans
- Free SIM card if you BYOP
- Discounts on devices when you use autopay
- Financing options are available with Affirm
- Refer a friend — you get $30, friend gets $30
- Pay-as-you-go customizable options with H2O recharge
- My H2O member benefits like 2% back on recharges
H2O Wireless coverage
H2O Wireless is an MVNO using the AT&T network
- Among the third-party metrics of Ookla, RootMetrics, and OpenSignal, AT&T consistently ranks first or second, often competing head to head with Verizon, and regularly out-ranking Sprint and T-Mobile.
- H2O Wireless uses AT&T’s network, allowing customers to take advantage of this coverage without the contact obligations of AT&T.
|Ookla Consistency Score||73.8%||79.7%||79.2%|
|RootMetrics Overall Performance||94.8||93.2||86.9|
|OpenSignal 4G Coverage Experience||9.8||9.5||8.8|
|Consumer Reports Data Score||Good||Fair||Very good|
|Consumer Reports Reception Score||Good||Poor||Good|
How is H2O Wireless’s 5G network?
Since H2O Wireless uses AT&T’s network, they get many of the same benefits as the major carrier.
- Speedtest Intelligence® reports that AT&T was the fastest mobile operator in the U.S. in Q2 2020 with a Speed Score™ of 41.23
- OpenSignal reports a score of 62 for AT&T’s 5G download speeds.
How does H2O Wireless compare to other prepaid phone companies?
- H2O Wireless has similar price points to other prepaid phone companies with similar sized data plans
- H2O Wireless offers unlimited talk and text, even internationally
- Although H2O Wireless uses the AT&T network, it has much slower download speeds than the major carrier
- H2O now offers an Unlimited+ Plan with Hotspot for customers with high data usage who need faster downloading
H2 Wireless customer service
You can reach H2O Wireless a few different ways:
H2O Wireless FAQs
Who owns H2O Wireless?
H2O Wireless is owned by Telrite Holdings, a MVNO company.
What network does H2O Wireless use?
H2O Wireless uses the AT&T network (GSM).
Does H2O Wireless work with an iPhone?
Yes. You can bring your own iPhone when you join H2O, or purchase one through them. They have several iPhones available with financing options through Affirm.
Should you switch to H2O Wireless?
H2O Wireless may be a good fit for you if you want to take advantage of AT&T’s wide ranging service at a lower rate. With any of the H2O Wireless plans, you will be able to talk and text as much as you want, even internationally. You can save by bundling multiple lines with H2O Wireless, so it may be a good option for families. However, if you use your phone for a lot of streaming or gaming, you will likely not be very happy with the download speeds offered by H2O Wireless.
Although H2O Wireless offers a competitively priced unlimited data plan at just $50/mo., the data is considerably more throttled than that of AT&T customers. In order to improve your downloading speeds with H2O, you will need to upgrade to the Unlimited+ plan with a mobile hotspot for $60/mo.
*Originally written 09/04/20. Last updated 11/03/20.
By Mary Blowers
Saturday, January 16, 2021Which internet providers offer Price for Life plans?
Ari Howard — 3 min read
Thursday, January 14, 2021The average American uses 7GB of cellphone data monthly
Allconnect — 4 min read
Tuesday, January 12, 2021What is Xfinity Prepaid Internet?
David Anders — 4 min read