Spring Cleaning: 4 Tips For Simplifying This Season
Spring is a time of renewal. The grass grows, flowers bloom and it is time for spring cleaning. Spring cleaning is great because it is a perfect time to get your home looking as good as new. However, it can be a lot of work that is super stressful. Luckily you can make the season less work intense by implementing a few of these spring cleaning tips.
Clear out the Clutter
Removing unneeded clutter from your home will keep you organized and make maintaining your clean home easier. Gather four large bins or boxes and label each one storage, trash, recycle and donation. As you dust your knick-knacks and sort through your closet consider if you really need or want Aunt Irma’s cat statue or the ugly sweater you have never worn. Place each item in the appropriate box. Take recyclables to recycling centers and donations to your favorite charity.
Unconventional Cleaning Tools
The cleaning aisle of every store is filled with countless gadgets designed to clean every surface of your home. However, you do not have to spend a fortune to clean your house. Consider using some unconventional and effective tools you probably already own.
- Damp rubber gloves are great for removing pet fur from furniture
- Hang an open umbrella from a ceiling fan or chandelier to catch dirt while cleaning
- Cover the clean top of your refrigerator with plastic wrap. Just remove and replace the plastic as needed
Focus on Overlooked Surfaces
Ignore your routine cleaning chores and focus on the overlooked surfaces in your home. Open your doors and windows. Let the fresh air in and allow an escape route for cleaning and paint fumes. Just be sure to focus on what you are doing, plow through and get it done as fast as you can. It is also a really good idea to focus as much as you can on what you are doing so that you don’t have any regrets later. Here are just a few tips to help you out.
- Wash your windows on a cloudy day. The sun can dry the glass too quickly and leave streaks
- Walls painted with a gloss or satin paint clean up fairly well. Paint as needed
- Clean your baseboards and door frames. You may think no one will notice, but you will feel good knowing the dust and grime are gone
- Clean or replace the switch and outlet covers
Health and Safety
Spring cleaning is the perfect time to make your home a healthy and safe environment. Here are just a few quick and easy things you can do to ensure that your home is safe and secure for your whole family.
- Replace the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Test your fire extinguisher
- Clean out medicine chest. Dispose of all expired or unused medications. Consult with your pharmacist for appropriate disposal methods
- Clean the coils on your refrigerator and remove lint from your dryer
- Replace loose rugs with skid-free to prevent falls
Do not allow yourself to be overwhelmed by spring cleaning. There are lots of simple things you can do to make the task less daunting. You could even consider doing one chore a day for 30 days to lessen the burden. Just take the time to find the best techniques for you and your home will be spotless in no time.
Guest Author Bio: Kara Masterson is a freelance writer from Utah. She enjoys Tennis and spending time with her family. Kara recommends looking into places like Ranch Town Recycling Center Inc for more information on recycling different household items.