Did you recently move? Do you still have a stack of moving boxes lying around? Don’t worry, you’re actually ahead of the game! Because rather than tossing those boxes out, you can reuse them to create some fantastic (and cheap) Halloween costumes. (Sometimes, procrastination really can work out in your favor.)
Our favorite ideas for Halloween costumes using moving boxes
We think you’ll like them just as much as a handful of candy.
- Box of raisins – It’ll make mom think you’re eating healthy this Halloween.
- Box of cereal – Count Chocula, anyone?
- Popcorn container – Because there’s nothing wrong with a classic snack the size of your torso.
- Carton of milk – With your face in the missing persons box!
- Juice box – All you need is a pool noodle to use as a straw and you’re good to go.
- Box of Donuts – You can be the box, and everyone else can be a different donut!
- Pizza box and a slice – Because pizza is a superfood.
- Candy boxes – Nerds, Hershey bar, Milk Duds, Kit Kat bars, Twix bars, and more. Because, really, that’s what we’re all here for anyway.
Playtime and Gaming Costumes
- Pac Man and the Ghastly Crew – So much better than the overplayed bedsheet with eyeholes cut out.
- 8-bit game graphics – Make your own boxy, 8-bit Super Mario!
- Minecraft – Because if the kids are building things in the digital world, then why not have them do it in real life as well? Plus, they’re already box-shaped characters, so it’ll be super easy.
- iPod / iPhone / smartphone – Since we’re already on them 24/7, it kind of makes sense to wear them as well.
- Deck of cards – A classic game, and everyone will understand your costume without any explanation.
- Legos – Literally just glue on some cylinders, paint them the same color, and your costume will be all connected in no time!
- Rubik’s Cube – Simply paint on some squares in varying colors and you’ll be golden.
- Jeopardy contestant booth – And you don’t even have to be good at trivia!
- Pair of dice – For the kids who can’t stop rolling around.
- Tetris blocks – Makes for a great group costume, all while showing off your hipster gamer side.
- Box of crayons – Like Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates, just more colorful.
- SpongeBob Squarepants – Because SpongeBob never goes out of style.
Plays on Perspective Costumes
- Fish Tank – Completely waterless, completely creative, completely candy-worthy.
- X-Ray Machine – Also a great way to reincorporate your skeleton costume from last year.
- Barbie and Ken Dolls – Perfect for any cute couple.
Last-Minute Costume Ideas
- Robot – A classic that always makes a comeback. And if you want to keep thinking creatively about all kinds of new uses for “trash,” you can even use bottle caps for buttons.
- Voting ballot box – You can even get folks to vote by giving candy to a certain side!
- Train car – For the kid who can’t get enough Thomas the Train in his life.
- British telephone booth – So you can feel fancy, British, and old school all at the same time.
- Firetruck – For the kid who wants to grow up to be a fireman.
- Traffic light – One box, one coat of paint, and three dots. It doesn’t get much simpler, folks.
For even more great ideas on costumes and other creative uses for moving boxes, see “Make Your Move More Fun.”
And it’s important to note that you can make these Halloween costumes as involved or as simple as you’d like. Many of them work as a single piece of cardboard or as an entirely 3D structure. Because if you’re still worn out from your move, then you’ll be glad to knock out two tasks in one swoop – upcycling those old moving boxes and being festive this Halloween. All it takes is a little bit of do-it-yourself initiative.
If you’ve moved recently, or are planning to move soon, Allconnect can help setup all your essential home utilities. Just enter your address and we’ll help you compare all the offers available at your address to find the best one for your home. And if you need any more tips for making your move as easy as possible, check out our other blog posts.