Starting to panic that the big move is just weeks away and you still don’t have a clue what you’re doing? Well, rest assured that you’re in good company as this is the kind of experience none of us can really understand until we’ve been through it a couple of times…and survived.
So with the sanity of first-time movers in mind, here’s a quick checklist to refer to before moving into your new home:
Eight Weeks Before
If you’re still a couple of months away from the big move, get things going in the right direction by:
- Ironing out any legal kinks and arranging all the boring admin stuff, as this is the kind of thing you really don’t want to have to tackle when knee-deep in packing paper and boxes.
- Start looking for a good price from a moving company, comparing the market and playing them off against each other to get the best deal. And of course, always check the insurance they offer.
- If there’s anything mega-valuable to be moved, think about having it officially valued prior just in case something goes wrong.
- Have a big (BIG) clear-out at home, getting rid of anything you’re not 100% sure you both need and want. Much easier now than later.
- Stop going shopping as often and eat/drink all the stuff you’ve already got in your cupboards.
- Begin keeping boxes and packaging to one side – you can never have too much!
Six Weeks Before
Fast forward two weeks, you now want to make efforts to:
- Make sure you’ve handed your notice in if you’re renting – don’t risk having to pay a fine!
- If you’ve done a serious declutter and found you don’t actually have as much to move as you thought, make sure you tell the moving company, as you might get a discount.
- If you’re thinking of buying anything for your new home, arrange to have it delivered there instead of your old place.
- Make sure you have the time off work you will need to get things moving in the right direction – a Friday always being a good day to start to give you the whole weekend.
- Call in favors from family and friends as with six weeks of notice, chances are they won’t have any excuses lined up why they can’t help!
Four Weeks Before
When it’s less than a month from the big day, you must:
- Ensure all utility bills and contracts are all tied up and done with.
- Change your addresses with your employer, banks, lenders and so on.
- Book a professional to come and change the locks in your new place as soon as you move in.
- Make the necessary arrangement with TV/Internet/cable companies to move your services.
Two Weeks Before
And now you’re practically out of the door and ready to go, all that’s left to do is:
- Arrange, rearrange or cancel your regular deliveries like milk, newspapers and so on.
- Make sure you know where you’ll need to go to register with a new doctor, dentist etc.
- Reconfirm every single detail with the company you’ve chosen to help with the move.
By Lisa Morton
Allconnect is a free online resource to review and compare the costs and choices for essential home services, including home utilities, high speed Internet, phone, cable TV, satellite TV, and home security systems.