5 brilliant tips for electricity safety

Jul 2, 2014

In order to be a productive member of today’s high tech society, you’re going to need electricity. There’s only one problem: electricity can be dangerous! A prank buzzer in a handshake may be good for a laugh, but a shock from an outlet is no laughing matter, especially for a child.

By following these simple tips and tricks for electricity safety, you can go a long way toward protecting your kids and yourself.


One of the most important things you can do to protect your kids against the perils of electricity is to educate them. Teach them that outlets, chords, plugs and light sockets can be dangerous.

Tell them that shocks are painful, and some are even powerful enough to be fatal. Even if they are very young, you should make it abundantly clear that it is never  OK  to play with outlets and chords.

Plug it

If you aren’t using an electric outlet, secure it with a plastic safety plug. These protective guards are extremely cheap and can be bought in bulk. More importantly, they make it impossible for inquisitive children to stick things like paper clips and bread knives in the outlets.

Don’t overuse an outlet

Some extension cords allow additional devices to be plugged into a single outlet, but they are not designed to draw the amount of powered required when you plug several high-voltage devices into the same chord.

If you are going to plug more than one device into the same outlet, make sure you have a surge protector that can handle the amount of electricity your devices will draw.

Tidy your cords

It’s easy to forget about the chord after you plug in your computer or television, however, messy cables can be hazardous. Not only can people trip over them, but a damaged chord can present a shock hazard.

When you plug in a device, make sure that the power chord is safely tucked away or clearly marked if there is no safe place to hide it.

Carefully unplug devices

It might be tempting to yank the chord on your computer or phone charger to unplug it, but this can damage both your chord and the outlet. Every time you pull a plug out of the socket, you pull on its internal wiring. Over time, this can cause hazardous damage to your outlet, which could pose a shock risk.