It’s moving season and nothing can make a good moving experience go bad faster than hiring a moving company that is not qualified. So who to hire? The best way to find qualified movers is to ask a lot of questions and in the end get everything in writing. You will find that whether you are moving across the country or just across town, that there are a lot of issues to consider and choosing the most qualified mover can make all the difference.
19 questions to ask your moving company:
1. How long has your moving company been in business?
2. Does your company do any repeat work for businesses in the area?
3. What payment methods are accepted for moving my belongings?
4. Is your company licensed for state and interstate transport?
5. Can I see proof of your local or interstate moving license and insurance?
6. What is your current Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating?
7. Are you a member of the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) or a local association?
8. What makes your moving company different?
9. How do you determine the weight of my shipment?
10. What kind of liability coverage and workers compensation does your company provide?
11. What supplies do you provide?
12. How much of the work can I do myself?
13. If I do the packing myself, are there restrictions on the types of boxes I can use?
14. How do you pack items such as fragile furniture, electronics, and musical instruments?
15. What will be considered extra services and how much do you charge for them?
16. Is there an extra charge for travel time to and from my home?
17. Do you guarantee pickup and delivery times/dates? What happens if one or both are missed?
18. What is your cancellation policy?
19. How do you handle disputes and complaints?
Allconnect is a free online resource to review and compare the costs and choices for essential home services, including home utilities, high speed Internet, phone, cable TV, satellite TV, and home security systems.
Author bio: Mark Lister writes about saving money around the home.